The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Convicted rapist wants to end supervision

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
Associated Press
TACOMA — A rapist who pleaded guilty 32 years ago and now says he’s a changed man wants out of continuing supervision and registration as a sex offender.
“I have become a good man,” Donald Lee Giffin wrote in documents filed in Pierce County Superior Court.
Judge Garold Johnson will be asked to decide Friday whether he has changed enough, The News Tribune reported Wednesday.
Giffin wants to be relieved of the requirement of registering as a sex offender, reporting to a community corrections officer once a quarter and undergoing an annual polygraph examination.
Now 62, Giffin is employed, sober and has been married for 11 years, he said.
“How long do you have to wear the scarlet letter?” his lawyer Rob Freeby asked Tuesday.
For the rest of Johnson’s life, prosecutors say.
Deputy prosecutor Malika Johnson acknowledged that therapists who have examined Giffin in the past decade have concluded he poses minimal risk to community safety. But the judge who sentenced Giffin insisted he remain on lifelong supervision.
“Supervision ensures the safety of the community and continued accountability for his crimes,” Malika Johnson wrote in court proceedings.
Giffin was the prime suspect in a series of rapes in the late 1970s and early 1980s in Pierce County.
Facing the possibility of multiple counts of rape, Giffin pleaded guilty to two in 1982. He was given a suspended life sentence. As required by law at the time, the judge ordered Giffin to Western State Hospital. Doctors treated him as a sexual psychopath for six years. He continued outpatient treatment for more than a decade after his release, records show.
Giffin accepts responsibility for his past actions.
“In closing, I must acknowledge during the first 30 years of my life I was terribly out of control, and I caused an enormous amount of pain to a lot of people,” Giffin wrote. “Today, I can confidently state I am no longer that same person. I have made immense changes to my morals, values, beliefs and core behaviors.”
Information from: The News Tribune,
Story tags » PunishmentSex Crimes

More Northwest Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates