The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Bail set for 2 suspects after shot fired at Everett Mall

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
By Eric Stevick
Herald Writer
EVERETT -- Bail was set at $250,000 Thursday for a man suspected of pulling out a handgun that went off in a scuffle with police and security at the Everett Mall on Tuesday night.
Moments earlier, a judge set bail at $100,000 for the man's alleged accomplice.
Based on his previous criminal history and the seriousness of the allegations, Charles F. Sprague could face a long prison sentence if he is convicted of the crimes stemming from Tuesday evening's chaotic confrontation.
Sprague, 26, was booked into the Snohomish County Jail for investigation of first-degree robbery, unlawful possession of a firearm and assault. He also was wanted for failing to report to his community corrections officer.
Everett detectives working the case determined that a woman who was with Sprague at the mall played "an active role in the ... shooting incident" at the Macy's store, Everett police officer Aaron Snell said.
Stephanie L. Boyle, 27, also allegedly fought with loss prevention officers but left in a vehicle while Sprague was being detained, Snell said.
The police department's Anti-Crime Team later tracked her to a home in the 2000 block of Pinehurst Avenue where she was arrested for investigation of robbery. A vehicle there was reported stolen and has been impounded pending a search warrant, Snell said.
Sprague and Boyle allegedly were spotted on surveillance footage putting a black Nike brand T-shirt into a shopping bag and leaving Macy's without paying for it, according to a police report.
A loss prevention officer and mall security attempted to stop them.
Sprague reportedly pulled out a .40-caliber handgun.
The mall security officer and suspect were on the ground and the officer grabbed Sprague's wrists to control the gun.
Boyle then allegedly attempted to get the security officer off of Sprague and was pushing the officer and pulling his leg.
Two off-duty police officers who arrived at the mall saw the struggle and helped apprehend the suspect.
Sprague allegedly bit the mall security and plain-clothed officers, according to a police report.
The handgun was fired as the mall officer was attempting to get it away from the suspect.
At that point, one of the police officers pulled his gun and ordered Sprague to stop resisting.
Boyle allegedly wandered off.
Sprague has 11 felony convictions, mainly for theft and drugs. Boyle has eight, largely for stealing and forgery.
Both have spent time in prison, according to court records.
Eric Stevick: 425-339-3446,
Story tags » CrimeEverett Mall

More Local News Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates