The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

2 charged with murder in missing wife case in Idaho

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
Associated Press
LEWISTON, Idaho -- A Washington state man who authorities say killed his estranged wife three years ago and an Idaho man who is accused of aiding the slaying have been charged with first-degree murder.
Charles Capone, 51, of Clarkston, and David C. Stone, 49, of Moscow, Idaho, were also charged Wednesday with conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and failure to notify officials of a death.
Authorities say 40-year-old Rachael Anderson -- a mother of four -- was lured to Capone's auto repair shop in Moscow where she was drugged then killed. Her body has not been found.
Prosecutors have not said how Anderson might have been killed.
Investigators "have been looking actively for information about her body for the last three years," said Latah County Prosecutor William Thompson Jr. "We were brought up to date on the information they had, including statements from other prisoners, cellmates. We decided there was sufficient evidence to support the filing of charges, and that it was time to move forward."
Both men were being held in the Latah County Jail. They made initial appearances Wednesday and were appointed public defenders. Capone will be represented by Moscow attorney Charles Kovis, while Stone will be defended by Ray Barker.
Kovis did not immediately return a telephone message left Thursday by The Associated Press. Barker declined to make any comment on the charges.
"It's great to see somebody step in and do something," said Amber Griswold, Anderson's oldest daughter. "I just hope we have a full ending, and we find our mother's body so can put her to rest."
Capone had been in Asotin County Jail in Washington on a $1 million bond since Oct. 3 after being charged with domestic violence assault on Anderson. That assault charge was expected to be dismissed in the wake of the new charges. Capone was moved from Washington to Idaho.
Stone was taken into custody on Wednesday after being talked out of his home, authorities said.
Court records say Capone and Stone got rid of Anderson's body and cleaned a GMC Yukon she had been driving to remove evidence. The vehicle was found in Lewiston.
Police say Capone can't account for an extra 130 miles on Anderson's vehicle after it had been taken to the shop. A cadaver dog detected human decomposition in the rear seats, and human blood was also found on pieces of paper found in Anderson's purse in the vehicle.

More Northwest Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates