The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Fire at Tacoma assisted-living center

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
Associated Press
TACOMA -- A smoky, early morning fire at a Tacoma, Wash., assisted living center sent 12 people to a hospital for treatment and destroyed an area housing the kitchen, dining room and activity room.
The fire broke out about 6:15 a.m. Tuesday at the seven-story Life Manor Retirement Community.
The News Tribune reported that firefighters say a heavy metal fire door prevented flames from entering the residence hall.
Still, smoke filled the hallways of the building where more than 140 senior citizens live.
Firefighters called in a second alarm because more people were needed to help evacuate all the residents.
Fire Department spokesman Joe Meinecke says investigators believe the fire started near the dining room and activity room and was caused by electrical problems.
Story tags » FireElderlyTacoma

More Northwest Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates