The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

'It's an absolute horror story,' witness says of fatal avalanche at Stevens Pass

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
By Phuong Le
Associated Press
SEATTLE -- The three skiers who perished in an avalanche near Stevens Pass on Sunday were aware of the avalanche risk but had skied the area before and felt they could do so again safely, according to another skier who was with them.
The skiers were identified by Powder magazine as Chris Rudolph, 30, marketing director for Stevens Pass; Jim Jack, 46, head judge for the Freeskiing World, and Johnny Brenan, 41, a Leavenworth contractor and married father of two daughters.
Three grief counselors were brought to Stevens Pass on Monday to help employees and friends of the victims, according to KIRO-TV.
A former employee is working to organize a candlelight vigil during night skiing at Stevens Pass this week, according to No formal announcements had been made as of Monday evening by the resort regarding memorial services. Stevens Pass officials did not return phone calls Monday.
The only reference to the incident on the Stevens Pass website Monday was a series of blog posts, including links to a Facebook page memorializing the three men.
The Freeskiing World Tour and Utah's Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort had scheduled a gathering at the resort Monday afternoon to remember Jack.
The three killed were part of a group of 15 expert skiers. When the snow broke loose in the Tunnel Creek canyon on Sunday, the surviving skiers watched in horror as a large avalanche swept their friends down a steep slope. The survivors immediately turned on their emergency beacons and began searching for signs of life.
Powder Magazine senior editor John Stifter, who witnessed the slide, said one person survived by bear-hugging a tree and holding on as the snow barreled over him. Another skier who was caught in the slide, Elyse Saugstad, was saved when she deployed an air bag designed to keep her afloat.
Stifter described Jack as generous, smart and influential in the ski industry.
"It's an absolute horror story," he said Monday.
Experts say once an avalanche has you in its grips, the chances of surviving are slim.
"The snow doesn't really care how experienced you are. It's not keeping track of experience level," said Mark Moore, an avalanche meteorologist and director of the Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center, which warned of extreme avalanche danger Tuesday. "Once you're in an avalanche, it has you at its mercy," he added.
The skiers were equipped with safety devices and kept track of each other as they strayed beyond the boundaries of the popular Stevens Pass ski resort. But the precautions still didn't save some from getting trapped, highlighting the risks of backcountry activity during a season of heightened avalanche dangers in the West.
Sunday's avalanche was relatively large, Moore said. The Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center rated Sunday's avalanche danger as considerable to high. Heavy snow had fallen in the Cascades on Saturday, with widespread avalanches and strong winds, all red flags, Moore said.
Another snow sport enthusiast, snowboarder Karl Milanoski of Seattle, 41, was also killed in an avalanche Sunday, near Alpental, part of The Summit at Snoqualmie ski resort off I-90.
"Most of our avalanches here are storm-related, so we get most of our avalanche activity during or immediately after a storm," Moore said. "It's very sad to have accidents like this happen. No matter how good the snow is, you still have to be objective about risk."
Statistics show that 93 percent of avalanche victims can be recovered alive if dug out within 15 minutes, but survival rates drop quickly as time passes, according to the Utah Avalanche Center. After 45 minutes, only 20 percent to 30 percent of victims are alive. After two hours, few survive. Carbon dioxide builds up in the snow around them as they breathe, and they quickly die from carbon dioxide poisoning.
The Tunnel Creek canyon -- where a snowboarder died in an avalanche last year -- is outside the boundaries of the Stevens Pass ski resort, but the area can be accessed by taking one of the resort's lifts to the top and hiking a short distance. The area is not controlled for avalanches.
Stifter said he and Jack skied in the resort until about 11:15 a.m. Sunday, when they met up with Rudolph. Stifter was in the state on an assignment, but this "was just a fun run with friends."
He said he had read the avalanche report that morning and knew avalanche dangers were considerable. He and others talked about it and determined they could ski it safely, he said. Jack and Rudolph had both skied the area countless times, he said.
Three of the 15 in the initial group peeled off and went a different way. Twelve others headed down, pairing up and skiing one by one, leapfrogging each other.
Each carried shovels and avalanche probes and wore avalanche beacons, a standard rescue device that allows rescuers to locate the signal of a victim if buried.
Stifter watched as Jim Jack made three turns, and then he saw a pocket of snow pop out. "Holy smokes! This is huge," Stifter recalled, when they realized how huge the avalanche was.
"We immediately pulled out our transceivers, designated a leader and spaced out 30 feet, zig-zagging all the way down," hoping to pick up their friends' signals, Stifter said.
Eventually, they picked up on the first signal and began digging furiously. They found Rudolph face down. Stifter performed CPR for about 30 minutes to no avail. Another group worked on digging out Brenan and Jack.
Saugstad told NBC's "Today Show" she's convinced the air bag she deployed immediately -- which she carried in a backpack and deployed with a lever by her chest -- saved her life.
"It's lifting you kind of up above the avalanche," Saugstad said Monday. "It's not like you're taking an inner tube ride down some snowy field. … It feels like you're in a washing machine."
Only Saugstad had an air bag, Stifter said. Air bags range from about $600 to $1,000. They have been widely used in Europe with reports of high survival rates, but they have become popular in the U.S. only recently.
An avalanche beacon, shovel and probe are among the mandatory rescue items for those heading into the backcountry, but experts say it's best to avoid avalanches entirely.
"The truth is, if you have to use your beacon, it means you've made a big mistake," said Benj Wadsworth, executive director of the Friends of the Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center, a nonprofit that works with the center to promote avalanche education and safety. "The focus of avalanche education is to keep you out of avalanches in the first place."
Adds Moore: "There are all of these technological things that will help us, but they're not a talisman that you can wave at the snowpack. You can't wave your beacon or your air bag at the snowpack. It's not going to make you safe. It's going to help you when get in trouble. You take the stuff with you, but you don't rely on them to extend your risk."
Herald reporter Bill Sheets contributed to this story.

More Northwest Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates