The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Mountlake Terrace woman, 45, arrested after friend dies while using heroin

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
By Diana Hefley
Herald Writer
MOUNTLAKE TERRACE -- Police arrested a Lynnwood woman suspected of supplying the heroin that may have killed her friend Thursday.
It could take weeks for toxicology tests to confirm how a 45-year-old Mountlake Terrace mother died. Detectives, however, were convinced Thursday night they had probable cause to arrest Kimberly Hiscott for investigation of controlled substance homicide.
Police say Hiscott, 45, admitted that she brought heroin to her friend's apartment and both of them smoked the potent opiate before her friend quit breathing, according to a search warrant filed Friday in Snohomish County Superior Court.
Detectives also found paraphernalia associated with heroin use at the scene, Mountlake Terrace Assistant Police Chief Pete Caw said.
Hiscott made a brief court appearance Friday. She was released on her own recognizance.
Detectives continue to try to sort out the details of what happened, Caw said.
Hiscott told investigators she and her friend have known each other since they were kids. She said her friend suffered from asthma and occasional back pain. She allegedly told detectives that she'd provided her friend with heroin once before to ease her pain, according to the search warrant. Hiscott told investigators that she got a small amount of heroin Thursday from "a friend of a friend of a friend." She declined to provide investigators the name of the her supplier.
Hiscott reportedly told detectives shortly after she arrived at her friend's apartment, the women went into a bedroom to smoke a "gooey" black ball of heroin. Her friend took two hits and she had one. They sat on the bed, watching television. Within several minutes her friend said she was tired and then fell off the corner of the bed, landing face down on the floor, according to the search warrant. Hiscott reportedly told detectives that she assumed this was normal behavior for her friend.
She said that her friend's son arrived home about 20 minutes later. He knocked on the bedroom door to give his mom a prescription he'd picked up for her. He noticed that she looked pale, rolled her over and noticed she wasn't breathing, according to the search warrant. He began CPR under the direction of an emergency dispatcher.
Paramedics also tried to revive the woman but she died at the scene.
In the early reports, Hiscott allegedly told detectives that she didn't call 911 and didn't provide first aid to her friend after she fell off the bed. Police were still trying to determine who summoned help, Caw said.
Caw noted that his department, like many others around the county, have seen more people using heroin in recent months.
Mountlake Terrace detectives in 2009 investigated the death of Bridgette Johns. The 18-year-old fatally overdosed on heroin while at the home of a Mountlake Terrace man. Prosecutors charged Joshua Knox with controlled substance homicide for supplying Johns heroin and failing to summon aid right away.
Knox, 27, was sentenced in February to more than eight years in prison.
Diana Hefley: 425-339-3463;
Story tags » Mountlake TerraceHomicidePoliceAddiction

More Local News Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates